Thursday, December 07, 2006

OrthoClear lawsuit, anyone?

When I heard about the OrthoClear sell out, I was really shocked. I was over a year into treatment when it happened, with about 6 more months to go. I had already paid my orthodontist in full for treatment with OrthoClear. Then the news that I wouldn't be able to resume treatment until sometime in March 2007- and that date is subject to change to a later time.

My lower arch needed the most work, so I opted for clear braces on the bottom to keep moving things along. I paid an additional $750 for the braces. I chose to wait for Invisalign for my upper arch. My ortho has made me a clear retainer to wear until Invisalign provides treatment.

I really don't appreciate that Invisalign has placed the OrthoClear patients at the back of the line. I don't appreciate that OrthoClear has violated the contract it made with me by not providing full treatment for aligners that I have already paid for. I don't appreciate that I've had to shell out an additional $750 so I can complete my treatment in a reasonable amount of time.

Oh, did I mention that I was the very first OrthoClear patient at my ortho's office? And did I also mention how forthcoming my ortho was about telling me how much stock he owned in OrthoClear? He was so enthusiastic about the product when he pitched it being better than Invisalign. Looking back, I'm sure he was actually enthusiastic about the profits he was hoping to gain through the stock in OrthoClear.

I found a website that may be compiling plaintiffs for a class-action lawsuit against OrthoClear:

https://www.orthoclearlawsuit.com/

I don't know how much of a difference a lawsuit would make. I don't even know if it's possible to sue a defunct company. I've submitted my info to the attorney, though. I would love to get back at OrthoClear if I can!

3 comments:

Rich said...

Christine, I can imagine the disappointment that you are experiencing. Imagine how we investors feel. We are equally shocked and disappointed to have each lost enough money to pay for 100's of orthoclear treatments. But that's the risk one takes as an investor. However, as a customer, you should have not had to bear any financial risk at all. I'm sorry for your plight and wish you the best in your lawsuit. The last I heard, was that the founder of Orthoclear is now residing in Amsterdam.

Cricket said...

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your comments! Just to clarify, I don't have a lawsuit against OrthoClear- not even a pending one. I truly don't anticipate anything actually happening with a lawsuit at all. I'd be very surprised if it happened!

I hope OrthoClear's founder is having a blast in Amsterdam. There's a lot one can do with money there- including hiding out from disgruntled stockholders and patients!

Unknown said...

Hi Christine,

It was very sadness news when OrthoClear was shutdown. In 2006, wher Align Tech took over OrthoClear, there 2,000+ employees were hired and 3 shfits were working. But after took over AlignTech announced that immidiately shutdown OrthoClear and all employees were terminated. Is this justifiable that any employer terminate all of his employees in a second. Can you imagine what was the situation of employees. OrthoClear hired most of people who were needy and whole of their family depended on them. It was not the fault of OrthoClear but the Align Tech